We are experiencing our first serious rain in months, which might send you to your closet looking for your rain jacket. Chances are, you can’t find it or you need a new one. We have worked up a guide to walk you through some of our featured rain jackets and their price points.
1. The North Face Venture Jacket: ($99) Simplistic in nature, the Venture jacket is easily compressible for travel, but can withstand a severe rainstorm. It has a fully adjustable, attached hood with visor, pit-zips, and a hem cinch cord to fit any frame. This jacket is waist length.
2. Patagonia Torrentshell Jacket: ($119) This is Patagonia’s answer for a lightweight, breathable, and packable rain shell. The Torrenshell jacket is a little more fitted than the Venture jacket and cut a little longer in the back. It has a stow-away hood and pit zips for ventilation. It consists of 2.5-layer nylon ripstop shell with a waterproof/breathable H2No® barrier and Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish for wet weather protection.
3. Mountain Hardwear Cohesion Jacket: ($165) This is Mountain Harwear’s super-light, full featured backcountry shell with Conduit™ DT for superior dry touch next-to-skin comfort. It has stretch panels on the arms and back for a more active fit that does not hinder your movement. This jacket is easily packable and includes a roll away hood for convenience.
4. Arc’teryx Beta SL: ($250) This is a wonderful Arc’teryx jacket for those of you who love Gore-tex, but require a light weight and minimalistic design. It is perfect for the pack weight conscious hiker or as an everyday rain shell to throw in your bag on the way to work. The trim fit hood allows for excellent side visibility, and it is also helmet compatible. This is a waist length jacket to accommodate backpack hip belt.
5. Arc’teryx Theta SL: ($350) The Theta SL shares similarities with the Beta SL, in that it is lightweight, waterproof (Gore-Tex), and breathable. However, this Arc’teryx shell is cut below the hips and has a zip away hood. The Theta SL also has reinforcements on the shoulders and arms for protection in more extreme conditions.
If you have more questions about these jackets and others we have in the stores, feel free to swing by and ask our knowledgeable staff. We want to find the perfect rain shell for you.